Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon Monoxide & Vehicle Safety Tips from KidsAndCars.org
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that is emitted by running vehicles and can quickly cause you to become disoriented, suddenly ill or even death. Below are a few tips to keep you and your family safe from this dangerous gas:
- Ensure that you have working carbon monoxide detectors in all areas of the home, especially near sleeping areas. Check batteries twice a year and replace detectors every 6-10 years.
- Always clear the tailpipe of a vehicle in inclement weather conditions. If the tailpipe becomes clogged with ice, snow or other debris, carbon monoxide can leak into the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
- Never warm up a vehicle in any enclosed space.
- Never leave a vehicle running in the garage, not even with the garage door open.
- Keyless ignitions vehicles should always be double-checked to ensure the vehicle has been turned off. Even if you take the key fob with you, the vehicle could keep running.
- Do not put children or adults inside a running vehicle while clearing snow or ice off the vehicle.
- During busy times and changes in routine be extra cautious as distractions and multi-tasking can lead to forgetting to turn the car off, even for the fanatically detail-oriented organized person.
- Keep vehicles locked at all times and make sure keys and remote openers are out of reach of children. Children may be tempted to get into vehicles to play or hide.
- Do not allow children to play behind a running vehicle. This is dangerous for numerous reasons. The driver is unable to see them in the blindzone that exists behind all vehicles and they will be exposed to the fumes coming out of the vehicle’s exhaust system.
- NEVER leave a child alone in a vehicle, not even for a minute.