- Power Windows
August 6, 1999 – June 2, 2004
DAVIN KNOLL’S STORY
Boy dead in power-window accident
Sharon – A 4-year-old boy died Wednesday afternoon after the power window in an automobile closed on his neck, the Walworth County Sheriff’s Department reported. According to a Sheriff’s Department statement, the boy was leaning his head out the window of his mother’s running car about 5 p.m. when he accidentally triggered the switch for the electric window, and it closed on his neck and crushed his airway. Emergency personnel performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation at the scene, but the boy died just after 6 p.m. at a hospital, the statement says.
From The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 06/02/04
SALLY KNOLL, DAVIN’S STEP-MOTHER, SPEAKS OUT
Davin was just 4 years old when he died on June 2, 2004. His life tragically ended after his mother left him alone in her car for a couple of minutes. By the time she got outside, it was too late. The power window had overpowered Davin’s little neck and crushed his windpipe. It has been over a year since he has died and my husband I remember it like it was yesterday.
Davin was a little boy with so much love. He had so much to look forward to, so much life to live. Davin brought so much joy and happiness to many people. Whenever his Dad and I saw him, our faces just lit up. His laughter was so childlike and innocent that you couldn’t help but laugh along with him. He was a wonderful child with a great personality.
I will always remember his Dad and him playing baseball in our friend’s backyard. He could switch hit, which is a rare thing especially for a 3 year old. Each baseball that he hit would just go further and further. We were all impressed how far he could crack the ball. It was truly amazing! Another great memory I have is one of the first times him and his siblings came to visit their father and me. We left Davin playing in the kitchen with his toy cars. When we went to check on him 10 min later, he was sleeping on the hard linoleum floor. His father and I laughed about it because it had to be so uncomfortable, but he was snuggled up like it was a bed. We still laugh about it to this day.
All in all we have learned from this whole thing two very important lessons. First, NEVER, EVER leave your children alone in a car. Not for one second. Another lesson we learned is that even though Davin has passed away, he still brings as much joy to us as when he was alive.
Written by Sally Knoll, Davin’s step-motherDonate in honor of Davin