Jahzel Pinon


Jahzel Piñon Story

May 21, 2008 – July 14, 2010


May 21, 2008 at 6:00 am I was blessed with the most beautiful borrowed gift ever weighing at 6lbs 6oz. She was perfect. She is still perfect. She’s my twin. My fat girl. And as I type this I sit here awake… empty inside knowing she’s gone, but not wanting to accept it. It’s not fair. I can’t forget or let go. I love her so much! Sometimes it’s hard to breathe. Why did she have to go? A nightmare I re-live over and over again when I awake and when I fall asleep.

On July 14, 2010 my baby girl died of heatstroke in the back seat of my van. She was only 2 years and 1 month old. That tragic day, I had a meeting at the Headstart for my then 4 year old daughter. I was running 30 minutes late. My husband tells me he heard my baby girl wanted to come with me, but I knew I couldn’t take her. My husband innocently fed our baby girl oatmeal and put chocolate milk in her sippy cup. Then as I was finishing getting ready (never knowing my husband had fed and got my baby ready) my husband took my 4 year old and my baby J* to the van, placed and buckled them safely in their car seats.

My then 4 year old was in her toddler seat in the third row and Baby J* was in her car seat right behind me. He started the van for me. I remember kissing my then 6 month old baby girl as she happily swayed in her baby swing. I went to the garage, put on my shoes and grabbed my purse bag that was only carrying my phone, organizer, and an infant pamper that belonged to my 6 month old. I got into my van and drove my way to Headstart. As I parked, I unbuckled myself while my 4 year old decided to unbuckle herself, which she never did.  She then opened the passenger sliding door, jumped out and closed the door behind her. I remember seeing another car coming to park and panicked. Purse in hand I jumped out as quickly as I could. I got my 4 year old by the arm and spanked her once on her bottom. I told her how that car or any car could have easily hit her being as small as she and she knew better than to unbuckle herself.

I locked my van and we walked inside. I signed her in and went to my meeting NEVER KNOWING my precious Baby J was still inside my van. They later told me that she had been in my van for about two and a half hours. After our appointment we returned to the van where both my 4 year old and myself found Baby J*.

That is the moment when my inconceivable nightmare began…

I screamed with horror and begged for help. My body went to a standstill, like bricks were piled on my shoulders to keep me from moving. Jehovah God knows how hard I tried moving to get her out. My arms reached out to her. The Headstart cook came and quickly took her out of the van.  I screamed out, “Please save my baby!”

I couldn’t understand how she got there. My husband never told me he buckled her in, nor was I ever given the chance to tell my husband I couldn’t take her with me for the meeting. I don’t blame him, but I was angry with him for a long while.

My daughter was alive when I found her and died an hour and a half after arriving at hospital. I was in interrogation for 6 hours being told she was still alive, fighting for her life. As they pulled her up on the stretcher to take her in ambulance, I said to her, “Fight Baby Girl. Don’t give up.” That was the last time I saw her alive. I never got to say goodbye at the Hospital.

Me and my now 8 year old daughter, who was with me the day we lost baby J, suffer from severe PTSD and have to be on medication simply to survive. I yearn every day for my baby girl. I haven’t gotten closure with my baby girl’s death…nor have I grieved her death. It’s like I am at war with my grief and I am not able to let out what I need to. My only goodbye was seeing her porcelain face and body in her casket. I’ll never get rid of the images my PTSD plagues me with for the last 3 and a half years.

So, I push through everyday alongside my family and hold on to Jehovah’s promise in Revelation 21;4 ” and he will wipe out every tear from their eyes and death will be no more.” I work with KidsAndCars.org as a volunteer to raise awareness in my community and honor baby J. Doing this work keeps her close and very alive with me…

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Email this to someone